Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An Englishman in Taipei III

The British actors penchant for only playing homosexuals, wimps, weirdos, pyschos and reserved snobs in Hollywood, had done real damage to the average Englishman in Taipei's macho credentials.

The average date:

“You English are gentleman, right?” said Lucy.

“What about the football hooligans?” I said.

At first I had been so overwhelmed by the stereotypes of an inferior English accent, and American superiority I had decided to keep my mouth shut; I almost believed them. But slowly I had found a few people who appreciated the English accent, and didn’t think it was a stuffy, rained every day, bowler hat doffing giant Merchant Ivory Production and I felt I could retake some of the ground between perception and reality.

“I don’t know, but the English are shy…don’t like trouble,”continued Lucy.

“What about James Bond? – He is British,” I pushed.

“Yes, but he is very American-style.”

“Hmm…Anyway…"

No comments: